To the Person who Pities Me

I know that you love me, worry about me, or whatever else, but I need you to stop acting like I'm likely to break.  It is really starting to get on my nerves.

I am sick, big deal.

I'm also nineteen.  I'm a big girl, and this is my life.  I have to live it as normally as I can.  When you act like I'm made of glass, it is kind of difficult to do that.

Please understand that this is no big thing for me.  I have been sick for a long time now.  I just incorporate it into everyday life.  Sure, I have more medicine than most people my age, and I might have my specialty clinics on speed dial, but that's just me.  Treat me like anyone else, and I will tell you what I can handle and if I need your help, but don't just assume I need it without a second thought.

I need you to realize that I will have good days and bad days.  Having a chronic illness is just like that.  Some mornings I wake up, crack open my eyes, and realize that there is no way I am going to make it to class on time if at all.  Other mornings I feel great in comparison to the prior.  Either way, I will take care of me and you take care of you.  When you coddle me and constantly ask if I can handle this or that, I feel like a little child again.

I can see the look you give me.... like I can't do for myself.  I'll have you know that I have taken care of myself everyday and will continue to do so until there is no fight left in me.  Newsflash I still have a lot of fight.

So, next time I take out a med or reset my feeding pump, don't look at me like I am a helpless and sad thing.  Don't go on about how bad you feel the next time we hang out and you need to stop for a bite to eat.  Please don't apologize for talking about your pain when you "know my pain must be so much worse."

Like I said, I'm a big girl.

I have no problem taking care of my medical needs, I know that you need to eat to survive, and I am perfectly aware of the fact that though I may be in more pain I am used to it and you may not be so accustomed.

You have no reason to pity me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

My Wishlist

The "A" Word