Surviving the Hospital: Tips and Tricks

Note: I have tried all of the products mentioned in this post and will receive a small stipend at                      no extra cost to you should you choose to purchase it using my link.

I spend more than my fair share of time confined behind the walls of a hospital, so I have gotten pretty creative when it comes to keeping myself busy. The following list is a series of suggestions for staying sane should you ever need to be hospitalized for any amount of time. It is my hope for you to become more informed and to feel like this is a safe place to share your story. As always, if you like it, share!

1. Learn a New Skill
This could be anything from learning how to crochet to learning how to paint or play guitar. Anything time consuming is really the most effective. I always have my mom bring acrylic paint, brushes, and canvas, which keeps me busy for hours at a time. Another skill that I've gotten particularly good at while in the hospital is making all of my Christmas gifts early. I buy ceramics off of Amazon (due to none being available in adult hospitals), and I go to town. The following are just a few suggestions out of many.
Emoji ceramics
Flower ceramics
Piggy Bank
Horse

2. Utilize Adult Coloring Books 
I don't know if you know this already, but adult coloring books are LIFE SAVERS during a hospital stay. Mandala's are my favorite, but I would go for just about anything with a lot of detail.

3. Bring a Gaming System 
If you didn't already know, most hospitals keep gaming systems on hand, and if they don't, they have no problem with you bringing your own device.... not that I ever have. I have zero hand eye coordination.

4. Sims on your PC
If you ask me, this is the absolute best game ever. It provides entertainment for hours on end, and it is an all around awesome game to play. This is literally the only game I will play on any device handed to me. Building the houses is definitely my favorite part.

5. Pack your Own Toiletries 
This is a MUST. If you know you will be hospitalized bring your own things including a towel. The towels issued by the hospital look as though they were meant for a baby, and you need at least 3 in order to dry off.

6. Comfy Pajamas
I won't lie. I have 10 pairs of pajamas that I alternate between hospital stays. Looking cute while being comfortable may seem strange, but trust me when I say that it definitely lifts your spirits a bit.  

7. Favorite Movies
The hospital has a limited selection of movies, but I always like to bring my own. Whether you follow this advice or not is up to you.  

8. Walk the Unit as often as possible 
Staying within the same four walls for lengthy periods of time is actually more detrimental to your already fragile health. Getting up and moving (even if a care assistant has to be within arms length at all times) is the first step to getting better.

9. Bring Earplugs
Lets face it. Hospitals are not the ideal place to sleep. Between the light shining through the door and the constant company throughout the night, its a wonder that anyone can even remotely function the next day. I have found that earplugs or music from my phone helps quite a bit.
  
10. Utilize any at home sleep needs as best as possible
When I become hospitalized, I ask only for a few of my favorite comfort items that I do not sleep without. My go to items are usually my U-Shaped body pillow and my lyrica sleeping bag.

That's all I have for today, but if you have any questions, comments, or concerns leave a comment and your email address and I will get back to you as soon as I see it. And as always, SHARE SHARE SHARE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

The "A" Word

My Wishlist