Mark 4: Word Study

A word study is a type of Bible Study in which you pick one word to focus on and listen to what God is saying to you through that word. While reading Mark 4, I noticed the word parables was used on several occasions. Below is a list that I have compiled of all that comes to mind when I think of the word parable. Remember to pray before doing this exercise. Ask God to give you the wisdom to understand what he is trying to say to you.

Abba, I thank you for bringing light into my life and making sure that I know that I am loved by you. Thank you for guiding me today as I study your word, and give me the strength and wisdom to understand what you are telling me. Amen

PARABLE
Story
Jesus
Message
Understanding of what we could not understand before
An act of love
Teachings
Instruction
Confusion
Love of the deepest kind
The story of God
The prodigal son returns
Prayer

In my list I notice a few key themes. Parables are definitely a way of teaching. I also notice that they are the way that Jesus taught non believers, and I presume based on previous knowledge that he did so in order for them to understand. As in the story of the prodigal son, non believers understood what it meant to the father when his long lost son had returned. Hidden in that message was the story of humanity, lost and forsaking their creator. Jesus was saying that one by one we would surely return and be welcomed with open arms.

If I had more time to think on this, I would look up the word "parable" in Hebrew and derive possible knowledge from that standpoint. I would encourage you to do what I could not (I have to leave in like 10 minutes).

Let us close in prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for teaching us your ways in a way that is good and easy for our understanding. Thank you for being a merciful God who welcomes his children home with open arms and throws a party in honor of our return. We are so grateful to you. Help this day to run smoothly, and let our minds be full of worship for the Creator. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

The "A" Word

My Wishlist