Self Care

As I've been in recovery from a serious mental break that occurred a few weeks ago, I have been learning a lot about the importance of self-care. Often times, I think that we become so focused on caring for others that we forget what self-care can look like. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it most certainly needs to be a necessity in our lives. Every day we should get up and ask the question, "What can I do to take care of myself today?" The following post is really just a list of suggestions that I have tried when practicing my own self-care. Some are obvious, while other ideas are more creative. As a little note to the readers: any products suggested in this post have been tested by me and have my stamp of approval. Should you choose to purchase any of the products listed I will receive a small stipend for no extra cost to you.

First, I will start with the obvious. You can take care of yourself by doing simple things such as practicing personal hygiene, getting out of bed, meditating (I like to use a yoga mat), petting your dog, reading, or even just deciding to spend a day being an introvert.

Self-care becomes a little bit more difficult when you need to actually function while still taking care of your own needs. Retail therapy is one of my favorite things (not for my wallet) to do when I need to calm down. In addition, I take care of my body through the use of vitamin supplements. My absolute favorite supplement to use is called Cal-Mag-Zinc. It's fairly cheap, and it keeps my vitamin levels in tip top shape.

Another form of self-care that I use often is actually blogging. Getting my thoughts out can be really helpful. If you're not the type of person who wants to share your thoughts with just anyone, I would recommend this journal. It has a lot of motivational and Scripture quotes in it to help brighten your day.

The point is, we spend so much time taking care of each other that we forget to take care of ourselves as well. There is a parable that I believe fits perfectly into this scenario. Jesus says to the people, you are trying to get the object out of this man's eye while ignoring the object already lodged in your own eye. How can we help others if we aren't first taken care of? I know this is short and sweet, but it is some food for thought.

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to share!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

The "A" Word

My Wishlist