What defines me?

Wow I never expected this experience with a feeding tube to escalate to where it is today.  In a few short days I will be meeting with a surgeon to schedule either a gj or j tube placement surgery.  Again... wow.  The doctors originally told me that I would be rid of this tube before school started.

That didn't happen.

Then I was told to give it a month.

Nope.

The dates kept extending until here we are four months later looking at permanent placements.  The thing is I wouldn't change it for anything.  Through every trial that my life has brought me I have learned something.  I have to believe that God will use my experiences one day to help someone else in the same situation as me.

Life with a medical problem can feel very lonely sometimes.  You don't always have people readily available to talk to who know exactly what you are going through and you tend to get left behind when it comes to having a normal life.  I want to help show people that I do have a life.  "Normal" just means something different for me.  I still maintain friendships, go on dates, have a job, and do all the other things that "normal" kids my age do but I also have weekly doctors visits and medical supply stock flooding my kitchen.  I carry a bag like other teen girls mine just has a machine and food in it.  This is my normal and it doesn't make me any less capable than the next person.  I can still do anything and be anybody.  Philippians 4:13 tells me that I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.  It doesn't say I can do what my body allows it says all things so by golly my body better get over it.

What other kids need to know, particularly those who struggle with a trial of some sort, is that circumstances do not define them.  It's how you handle what circumstances you are handed that determines who you are.  Don't give up on your dreams no matter what and know that God is with you to guide you in every step of the way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

My Wishlist

The "A" Word