7 Anti-Nausea Tricks You DIDN'T Think Of

Note: I have tried all of the products mentioned in this post and will receive a small stipend at no extra cost to you should you choose to purchase it using my link.

In the world of GI disorders and feeding tubes, nausea is often part of the equation. It sneaks up when you least expect it, and it acts as an uninvited guest to several occasions. Fortunately for those of us who deal with it frequently, there are several alternative methods to try. In this post I will offer seven alternative methods of handling nausea that will work no matter who you are. 

1. Smelling Alcohol Swabs

This method is commonly used by nurses in the ED as an alternate way of helping relieve nausea when nothing else works. Though it is not necessarily advised by many medical professionals, it is definitely one of my favorite methods to use when I need something quick acting that gives my medication time to set in. 

2. Using Ice on your Stomach or Neck

I use ice for a lot of things, but, until recently, nausea wasn't one of them. However, I do see why it works. One of the worst things about nausea is that it makes you feel hot from the inside out. The shock of cold is sometimes just enough to allow the nerves to calm down and allow you to focus less on nausea. 

3. Benadryl

Benadryl is most commonly used as an anti-histamine, but doctors who specialize in Gastroenterology often prescribe the drug to patients with chronic nausea and vomiting. I find that it works best alongside anti-emetics such as Zofran, but it does work on its own as well.

4. Chewing Gum

If you know me, you know how much I chew gum. Something about having gum on hand keeps my nausea under control. Actually, this works with hard candy and brushing teeth as well.

5. Rubbing Mint Essential Oil on your Stomach or Temples

Mint has a cooling effect, so it acts much like ice does when it comes to nausea. The one drawback to using mint is that it causes headaches if it is too strong, so diluting the solution with a small amount of water is definitely recommended. 

6. Sea Bands

If you have never tried Sea Bands you need to as soon as possible! They use acupressure to reduce nausea and will become your best friend. I got mine off of amazon and wear them as much as possible. Though they don't completely take away my nausea all together, they definitely help.

7. Rubbing Alcohol Behind the Ears

This last method is similar to the first in how it works, but when you use it you don't look as weird for carrying around an alcohol swab, which makes it a winner in my book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

The "A" Word

My Wishlist