Two Words

Here's the thing, I've been sick my entire life but up until now I hid behind the small amount of normalcy I had. When I started out this year I couldn't do that anymore and I'm gonna be honest walking into school on the first few days was hell. All of a sudden everyone was asking what's wrong with Tristan. Problem is nobody was asking me. I was a specimen to be looked at under a giant microscope and I could see EVERYONE looking. I felt angry and alone and also very frustrated. I understand that the tube is a scary sight but I don't really enjoy being treated like the lonely betta fish in its own bowl while all the other fishys get to swim in the crowd. And really, two simple words would have made it all better. TWO WORDS. "What happend?" That's all I needed to hear but practically noone would ask me. Trust me, staring out of the corner of your eye is not the answer. I may be a little weaker and I may eat from a tube now but I don't bite... well, maybe a little but that's beside the point. Anyways, I can guarantee that there are thousands of other people around you that feel just like me. Remember? The lonely betta fish? Yeah that one! So I guess if you want to take anything from this post take this; just ask. Whether its a scar, a bald head, a wheelchair or a feeding tube doesn't matter. All that matters is that people be treated like people because that's what we are right?! In case you were wondering the answer is yes. I'll admit that I'm guilty of the same thing all my peers were guilty of in the first weeks of school but now I have a look from the other side... hmm that's funny the grass is the same over here! But the point is curiosity isn't offensive. Asking is always the better way and on the plus side you get the juiciest information if you go directly to the source. Just saying.

Comments

  1. Awesome perspective. The funny thing about society today is there is the sense that we have to be "politically correct". No! We don't!! We are all people living among people. Rich, Poor, Tall, Short, Talented, Whatever! We are what we are around everyone else being who they are. We are unique. I hate to be cliche but Sammy Hagar said it best. We are simply humans being. The other cliche is from the google dolls. For every finger pointing at someone ther are 3 others pointing at you. If you want to know something....ASK!! If you don't understand somthing...ASK!!! If you think you are better than someone else, check back with them in 20 years. Odds are they turned out just as good as you. And guess what? They are probably happier because they didn't have to live the last 20 years trying to look bettter. They were just "Humans being!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Underneath all of the Fear

My Wishlist

The "A" Word